View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2015, 11:05 pm   #4
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Aladdin Coil Formers

Alas it's one thing that "hobby" stores don't keep anymore!! I have loads of excellent receiver schematics that I have always wanted to try, but no coil data.
Or if there is coil data there are no formers available to wind them. Another thing that Australian magazines did, was to use "coil packs", where all the coils are mounted onto a sub chassis usually with the mixer/oscillator and RF valve bases attached, and in some cases a very nice 3 gang tuner. One area of my non expertise is RF !! at least RF at DC levels, as the other engineers called HF radio. ( All my experience with RF starts at 2.2 gigs and upwards).
I have tried all the commonly available plastics ( pill bottles, PVC electrical conduit, perspex rod, all with horrible Q ) even paxoilin tubing is now unavailable, and that would do for frequencies up to 30 megs. I did fix one thing though, when all the "old" stores closed down, I bought up every IF transformer I could find!. But that means I only have 455 khZ IF's as FM didn't start until just a few years ago in Australia ( mebbe 30 years ago) and double conversion receivers were not very common here.

I am interested in what ssaunders comes up with !!

regards
Joe