View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2017, 10:41 am   #24
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Electrolytic capacitor fails after 1 hour in service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
The problem remains though in vintage transistorized equipment where the common capacitances can be over 30 to 50uF, often into the 100's or 1000's of microfarads and there is no room to fit other capacitors. In this case my practice is now to fit Tantalums...
Yet in this Form there are threads decrying Tantalums!

I actually like them. They have to be used with care (minimise spikes, so I would hesitate to use in the OP's application), but they don't lose capacitance at low temperatures, and they don't have the wear-out mechanism of aqueous electrolytics. They aren't forgiving of momentary overvoltages though, whereas aluminium aqueous types are, which is useful when bread-boarding circuits and something goes wrong (if that has happened, the capacitor still goes in the bin in the fullness of time as a precaution).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
...these caps are nearly always perfect over 40 years on and they are the only electrolytic cap I'm fond of... are made by Rifa and last much longer than conventional electros and they also have much better physical seals.
I've used just TWO (ever) of these, but it is good to hear of Argus's experience! I'll be back for more. It's curious that Rifa persist in absolutely rubbish X capacitors, but make super electrolytics!