View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2017, 6:20 pm   #31
gramofiend
Pentode

Default Re: Restore an HMV 2127

The original crystal cartridge had two longish styli protruding from it and the original end of the arm containing the cartridge transducer could be inclined slightly in one direction direction or the other to make either the mono lp or 78 stylus available to the record. I notice the arm has already been modified to accept the blunderbus Acos GP 67 which was a distorted beast at best. You may be fortunate and with a much lighter cartridge be able to track records of newer vintage but the mechanics of the arm may not be favourable. We had one in my family in 1956 and it played a stack of 78's and then later 45 mono singles. It belonged to an uncle of mine and put a repeating groove in a pristine copy of South Pacific, in the days when lps were offered for sale in separate versions, Mono and Stereo. Plessey never made good record players just functional ones. They then took over Garrard and look what happened to that company. Having said all that, this player worked very well and should perform well as a vintage tune player. If you could obtain a Shure SC35 stereo cartridge, wire it mono and get the arm to track at 6gm, the higher end of that cartridge, it is not particularly likely to do much damage to stereo records bearing in mind how many times you play a record in it's lifetime with you. By the way the manufacturers sheet states the SC 35 tracking spec is 3-6gms.
Have fun and enjoy.
Mike