View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2017, 10:11 am   #8
red16v
Heptode

Default Re: Tape Deterioration on NOS LP Tapes

Just to divert a little if I may please. On the 'Signal levels' thread I have started my project to convert my 40 year old tapes from my Akjai X201D to my iMac for preservation. Some of the tapes are squeaky as they pass through the tape path, some are clearly shedding oxide (and lots of it in some cases!), some reels seem reluctant to 'unwind' off the supply reel.

Does the team have any suggestions to try and help me get over these problems? Naturally I have heard of baking tapes, is this something I can try as an amateur at home - unfortunately I don't have any spare tapes with which to try any suggested techniques.

PS, I did find that putting some old fashioned plumbers ptfe tape around some of the guides post has reduced the problem in some but certainly not all cases. Looks like some of the tapes are trying really hard to 'stick' to the guide posts and are reluctant to move through the tape path - even in full rewind mode. No doubt these symptoms are familiar to some here who have tried the same thing.

Maybe deserving of a new thread if the moderator would prefer? Any suggestions welcome.