View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2017, 7:39 pm   #79
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Cheap multimeters

Well, my UT61E still hasn't arrived, but in the meantime I've been writing up my multimeter reviews on my website, bringing together lots of information that was previously spread across several forums.

In addition to those covered earlier in this thread, there are some other meters, including the Fluke 101, and the BSIDE ADM08A. The latter might be interest to those who prefer manual ranging meters. This unit is 6,000-count, has true RMS, capacitance, frequency/duty cycle, and also has no-contact voltage detection - all for less than £20 delivered. Also, I've done a write-up on my UNI-T UT210E, which is an AC/DC current clamp with 1mA resolution.

I've also written a brief article on the subject of multimeter safety. It doesn't pretend to be exhaustive, but it does attempt to be balanced. Personally, I don't care if you use a £10 Chinese special or a £500 Fluke, but what does matter to me is that everyone has been able to make an informed choice in full knowledge of the possible problems and limitations of cheap multimeters.

Constructive feedback welcome. Also, suggestions for other meters to review will be considered, although please note that I've spent quite a lot of my beer reserves on the meters I have already bought for this project. Please go easy on me in the typo department - there's a lot of text in these reviews, and it is impossible to proof-read your own work, especially on a screen. I'll have another go at proof-reading later on.

https://www.markhennessy.co.uk/budget_multimeters/

Mark