View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2020, 3:09 pm   #8
XPModder
Diode

Default Re: Need help finding a replacement capacitor for Gould 1604 Oscilloscope

Thanks for all your help everyone!

I got a new 3kV 10nF capacitor yesterday and put that in. The scope works again now and I have ordered a higher rated capacitor as well and will swap them as soon as it arrives.

I have to say, I really like the serviceability of this scope. Even though it may be a little hard to find a replacement for some components. I didn't even need to get the PCB out or remove any connections when I replaced the tants on the input channels. Just take the top and the bottom cover away and you can access the main PCB from both sides. And because it's all through-hole and no surface mount components, it's not hard to replace anything.

I don't have a modern DSO, but I guess if there would be a problem with a modern scope, it would be way more complicated to replace components, as you would have to disassemble the whole thing to get access to something. And the tiny surface-mount parts don't exactly make it easier to solder in a new one...

Florian