View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2019, 3:39 pm   #4
Luxman1050
Octode

Default Re: Philips 170A restoration

Thanks for reply guys.
Replaced the electrolytics just put some 33uf rifa caps in the original cans always bit messy. These caps are actually very well made.

Well wiring absolutely right I seem to be constantly changing a wire only to find the next 5 have all split exposing bare wire. Seems to be mainly on top part of chassis going to trannys and some valve bases underneath. Happily surprised that the transformers don't have flying leads direct from the unit which is a bonus.
Only thing did notice is that one of the tuner cans on top of chasis has had its wax removed and on cleaning moved it around a bit hopefully not caused any probs there so melted some wax and recovered it.

The EF39s interesting someone has painstakingly used some fuse wire and wrapped around the valve base then soldered to the original conducting wire I'll post some pics. Is it worth keeping these as they are the originals or just replace?

The other thing I was thinking is the EBL31 is it worth removing the IO1 base and just replacing with an SC8 base so I can use the EBL1 since seems to be a few of these around or just buy one of those Philips EBL31 valves which look to me to be EBL1s converted to an EBL31 as they are taller.

The other thing I noticed is the AZ31 not sure if what I have actually is as I managed to pick up a mullard one in mint condition for 9 quid and the top where mica cap is does not have those suspended wires which I think go to the anodes I think!

Someone has obviously done some restoration be it very little maybe just to keep it up and running although I think fire hazard would have been waiting to happen.

Okay the earth strap is fine all tested but all wires have been removed from that side of the tranny apart from the mains in. The voltage regulator has been removed although I would have preferred that to still be an option if required.

I'll post some pics.

Cheers Chris