View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2018, 7:02 pm   #12
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Curious VHF antenna. Pager ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Are the aerials directed at a BBC broadcast site? I suspect that these are part of a broadcast reception system, for Radio 2, 3, 4 or whatever. Most pager systems would use vertical polarisation I reckon. They don't look like link aerials either. VHF links were typically 150MHz upwards, and more commonly UHF or microwave. I would also expect a link aerial to be 3 elements or more.
Alan.
They're not obviously pointed at any BBC site: if they were for FM broadcast I'd have expected them to point to the Marlborough transmitter, which is only about half a mile away!

I don't think they're for pagers - as you say they usually used vertically-polarised antennas. OTOH they *could* be link antennas pointing at a pager relay-transmitter covering a wider area than just the hospital; the medics I knew who had pagers in the 70s and 80s had no problems with them working when 20-odd miles from the hospital (much to their annoyance when they were woken at stupid-hundred-hours even though they weren';t on-call that night!).