View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2017, 5:12 pm   #51
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Thought this might amuse you...

One similar 'home improvement' I discovered was when I returned a Bush 823 back to its owner following repair. I plugged it in and was rewarded with a flash and a loud bang from the socket.
I jumped back in alarm.
'Don't worry - it always does that if you push the plug in!' countered the unconcerned householder.
Of course I couldn't leave it at that even though the TV was now working happily. So off came the socket top and there was a jumble of wires inside. I then saw what had been done. A cable came through the wall from the kitchen that backed onto the living room. However there was not enough room for the three cables so they were all taped together with Sellotape (I kid you not) and two wires then came out to the live and neutral of the socket. When the socket flexed the live then touched the earth of the metal back box with hilarious results.
It transpired the whole of the kitchen (sockets, lights, cooker - everything) was returned to this point. The elderly couple's nephew 'who knows all about electricity' had wired it all up. I was extremely unpopular when I took the fuse out of the box and told them they needed an electrician smartish.
'But what will we do tonight?' they complained.
'Survive' I replied and left.
Glyn