View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2022, 5:24 pm   #69
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Heirloom item help please

Hi Frank

I've just had a look at your journey making good an heirloom.

Two points, if I may.

First, while you have the back off the cabinet, fix some felt carpet underlay around the sides of the speaker box and back. Whatever is left, loosely fill the void This will greatly improve the sound quality. Professional speaker manufacturers use similar material, BASF wadding or high-density foam in the void but an old pillow will do. This will stop the "honking sound" caused when a speaker is placed in an empty box. Without it, it makes for listening fatigue big time. The difference will be noticeable.

Second, I see this unit is medium and long wave only and currently, you use Bang & Olufsen Beoplay speakers to play your choice of music. Just which B&O model are model do you have? The audio quality from some is amazing, so don't just throw them; they might solve an outstanding issue.

Because this radiogram is missing an FM tuner it means that, if I understand where you are coming from, you can't just purchase a Blue Tooth FM transmitter module. You will need to provide an audio input facility.

Looking at record players of old, some manufacturers just wired an audio input (tape) socket across the record player cartridge. When the owner plugged in a tape recorder, for instance, it sounded just fine. Should your B&O active speaker have audio out, you are almost there. Food for thought?

Chris