View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2017, 12:38 pm   #15
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default Re: 'Transformer' type soldering gun - transformer spec?

I had one of these soldering guns for a while but it has been sat in one of my tool boxes for a few years. It hasn't been used for many years because I lost one the the tip retaining nuts for which I could never find a replacement. I think the trigger switch also failed or broke as a part of it is missing. I think that is probably why I removed the mains lead and just kept the body and TX in case it came useful for anything. Anyway, I just connected it up to the mains for a few seconds and the bulb lights up brightly and the element gets hot. Given your requirement for a separate transformer maybe this is not suitable, but if you think the TX might fit and you would like a parts donor then I am happy to send it to you for the cost of postage as I have no further use for it anyway.

BTW, I measured the output voltage on a Fluke 6062, which showed that the AC voltage started at about 2.00v, and then dropped rapidly to about 0.77v after 3-4sec with the tip removed, 0.57v with the tip in situ. The Brymen did not seem to pick up the initial surge, just recorded the lower voltages so I also tried the AVO and this also just settled at around the same lower voltage with no indication of an initial surge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solder-gun.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	150022   Click image for larger version

Name:	solder-gun-02.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	150023  

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 28th Sep 2017 at 1:05 pm.