View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2010, 4:01 pm   #18
Retired
Heptode

Default Re: Restorer's dream.

Many thanks Tony for your confidence in my abilities I hope I can live up to this; also thanks for the converter information; its unlikely that I'll ever get as far as wanting to buy a converter but Jeffrey has mentioned that just to get the set working help from another member nearby owning such a converter would be one solution.

Thanks John and I can fully understand your welcome comments regarding me being put off at my first attempt with a TV taking into account the condition of this Ekco as a first project. I'm a total TV novice and wanted this set just to get my hands on the cabinet but I'm also pleased to hear your account of how respected these sets are. I've always received much encouragement from forum members who are only too happy to put themselves out and you are indeed a great ambassador to the forum as I'll never forget your kind help whilst I was struggling with the Wave Winder.

Jeffrey was totally honest about the condition of this set and kindly took the trouble to send the pictures some of which I pinched to add to this thread; not only that but Jeffrey has also taken the time to send me a lot of technical data and information about this Ekco which is much appreciated. Whatever happens I've been made fully aware of the condition of this set and am happy to include another one of Jeffrey's pictures showing the inside of the cabinet and chassis.

As a TV novice I don't understand what constitutes a good or bad TV or what makes one set more desirable than another; I'm total blank regarding the workings of TV but what I find so irresistible is the terrible overall condition of the set and in particular the cabinet. I really struggled with my Philco radio cabinet restoration shown in the current Bulletin but it turned out very well in the end even if it did drive me mad at times but I see this Ekco as a follow on challenge and wonder if I really need medical treatment!!

Thanks for the information Danny.

Kind regards, Col.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco interior..jpg
Views:	614
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	43454