View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2022, 11:00 pm   #1
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Xbox (original) killer capacitor

This is something some of you will already know about but it has only lately come to my attention:-

If you own an original Microsoft Xbox you need to get inside it and remove the supercap which maintains the Realtime Clock time before it leaks and causes damage to the components in the area around it. It's not a case of if, but when.

On most hardware variants the machine will work without it, the only penalty being that whenever you power it up from cold it will ask you to enter the time and date before you can proceed, and this inconvenience is definitely preferable to letting the machine be quietly killed while you think it is safely stored.

I like the convenience of the machine remembering the time when switched off so I have chosen to replace it with one which has the right value but looks different (slightly taller, different brand) to the original fitted type, whereas there are quite a few outlets which are offering visually identical replacements - my view is that it would be unwise to fit the same brand and type again.

The main Torx-20 screws holding the lid on are accessed from the bottom, four are under the large rubber feet / pads and there are two more under two of the labels.

Mods: Time allowing, could you please correct the spelling of 'original' in the thread title. Thank you.

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 25th Jan 2022 at 8:27 am. Reason: original