View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2022, 9:17 pm   #33
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: s2p file from VNA

The K plot looks OK but the GMAX plot looks different to what I'd expect from Genesys. In Genesys it should be possible to just enter GMAX in the 'variable' box (after you double click on a graph) and it does it all for you automatically. You don't need to enter any equations.

The other way to do it is via the equations engine but you would get a different result unless you put in all the same conditional equations that Genesys uses for GMAX. In parts of the graph where K>1 the built in GMAX function plots the max available gain. However, if K dips below 1 then Genesys computes the maximum stable gain that is possible with K=1. This is a really powerful way of presenting the data as it can quickly show how much gain can be extracted from the device at each frequency if the design aim is for K>1 at that frequency.

It is possible that your 2020 version of Genesys is different. Maybe GMAX isn't plotted this way on the new version?

I generally don't like using right angle SMA connectors up at UHF but they should be fine for your initial experiments. However, I'd prefer to use straight connectors.