View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2021, 12:06 pm   #9
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: £10,000 wooden-cased valve amplifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_Nukem View Post
Thanks for posting David, only meant to take a quick squint at the video but watched it straight through. Fascinating for someone like me whose woodworking limits are a junior hacksaw and a hammer

TTFN,
Jon
Glad you found it interesting Jon.

I'd previously posted a thread on making plinths for £13,000 turntables, basically because it shows the 'iron-on' technique of using dry PVA adhesive to apply veneer, and I felt it was relevant to the restoration of 'woodie' cabinets. It was to me as I had a Murphy A124 which I needed to re-veneer, which also posed the additional challenge of how to bend the veneer against the grain to a radius of 25mm. (Now successfully completed).

Over the years I've done quite a lot of veneering of woodworking projects, and have mostly used hide glue, which is messy and smelly. The larger the piece of veneer, the more challenging it becomes. Self-adhesive paper-backed veneers are available which I've never used and whilst they might be perfectly satisfactory, I've always been a bit sceptical.

I guess that most restorers tend to focus on the electronics first so that they have a working radio, and leave the cabinet till last with no great enthusiasm, and even if the cabinet is sound, they wonder what finish to use to achieve an acceptable appearance as close to or better than the original. I invariably start with the cabinet first, whether it's wooden or Bakelite and assume that I can successfully restore the electronics, which experience has taught me can be dodgy logic!

The earlier thread showing the iron-on PVA dry adhesive veneering technique is at this link:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=180037

I'll add a thread on re-veneering and finishing the cabinet of my Murphy A124 using that technique, which might be of interest.

Last edited by David G4EBT; 1st Aug 2021 at 12:14 pm.