View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2021, 8:39 am   #7
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: £10,000 wooden-cased valve amplifiers

Saw that too David and popped over to SJS's site for a butchers. The amps do look nice- ish, don't really like that aesthetic though.This week it'll be touch and go whether I have enough money to pay the bills, that some folk have enough spare cash to drop 10 grand on an amp or a second house in Cornwall boggles my mind.

Couldn't find a schematic but suspect they follow the standard 300B amp architecture - driver valve - 300B - fancy OPT with maybe some dedicated filament supplies, a mosfet or two and a tad of secret sauce.

Quote:
In my view total waste of good hardwood trees.
The rich do like a bit of Walnut or Rosewood to tastefully show how cultured they are, it also blends well with the gold taps, ruby encrusted remote,vibrant pink shagpile and the tiger skins. We get the offcuts formed into MDF.

Still, that said the amps and cabs look well made and use decent components with the right names attached, I doubt the bloke who made them will grow rich building them and is probably like us in it cause he loves working with his hands and mucking about with electrickery.

Andy.