Thread: Museums
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2019, 7:11 pm   #97
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Museums

I did eventually make my visit to Bletchley Park (both halves, the 'Codebreaking' part and the eerily separate 'National Museum Of Computing' with its working Bombe, 'Heath Robinson' and 'Colossus' replicas. If you have a thing for Enigma (and Lorenz) machines in particular, you won't know which way to look first.

Unfortunately my timing wan't great as, unbeknown to me my visit coincided with a 1940s event - very good it its own right, but it increased the visitor numbers to a level which made it difficult to give proper and considered attention to some sections of the Bletchley Park side in particular. But as they always say: A good excuse to go back again.

I also visited 'The Centre For Computing History' in its unassuming location in an industrial unit on the edge of Cambridge - this one was aimed much more squarely at people like me (and many others here) who were the among the first wave of home computer owners in the late seventies / early eighties, so that era is especially well represented and there are examples of virtually every mainstream and not so mainstream home computer and video game console, the vast majority accessable, turned on, and ready to start programming or playing on.

Both sites (Bletchley and Cambridge) get two thumbs up from me.
SiriusHardware is offline   Reply With Quote