View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2005, 2:28 pm   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Is my house earthed???

Quote:
I've seen technically very good work done by non-qualified people, although these people usually do not posess all the equipment needed to test their work to the required standards.
I agree fully with the first part of Nick's assertion but anyone doing electrics at more than a basic amateur level should have some means of checking insulation resistance and earth loop impedance. I've got an old 500V Megger and a loop tester that's not exactly young either. ISTR they cost me £5 each at a boot sale some time ago. The Megger can also do a sensible measure of resistance round a ring circuit. They may not be able to do full tests in accordance with 16th edition regs but I can certainly use them tell if I (or anyone else) has fouled up an ordinary domestic installation.

If the guy was ex 'leccy board he should have been able to lay his hands on the kit and do the tests. If he wanted to keep quiet about moonlighting he could have written out a certificate with all the measurements and then "forgotten" to sign it.

Like Nick, I have seen the lousy and even dangerous work done by people supposedly qualified to do it right. Including British Gas.

Don't get me on to another rant about Part P!