View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2018, 12:45 pm   #5
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: 15V NiCad Battery

Thanks Guys for the info. I've scrolled & scrolled through a number of battery sites + RS + Farnell, etc. Building up a button cell pack & heat shrinking it was my 1st thought. But no large button cells which are rechargeable or can take the o/p from the mains charging pack.
At this point, I'd better mention that its for an old 1970's Time Electronics 2003 4thumbwheel Voltage Potentiometer. Just remembered it last week after banging-on about my bigger/newer T/E VP on another chap's thread.
Stupid me had either forgot it had a R/C Battery or had thought it came without one several years ago. I always tell folk to check battery boxes in AVO's or any other non-mains test equipment. A cardinal sin !
Did find one suitable 15V R/C battery on the internet, but it was nigh-on 50 quid! Although I've tested the Time/E with separate bench DC PSU, and tested its mains charging pack, and thankfully found that the circuitry was leaking electrolyte - free - I doubt its worth 50 quid when refurbished.
Plan C = found a couple of new cheapo/chinko R/C PP3's on my shelf, nominally 9V, but they'll only charge up to 8V - So those two in series gives 16V which is within limits according to the wee manual. And they'll fit within the(now de-corroded) retaining band clip.
I'll keep this thread open in this section for a few more days in case someone comes up with an alternative solution. Then perhaps a kind Moderator might transfer it to the Test Equipment section & I'll post some pictures.

Regards, David