Thread: Philips B3G63A
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2015, 2:30 pm   #1
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Philips B3G63A

Currently restoring my Grandfathers old Philips B3G63A but it needs a bit of TLC. Fortunately I have the Service Manual and Full Schematics for the Radio.

I do, however, have a number of questions.

Took off the back cover (probably for the first time ever) and everything inside seems good but very dusty as you can see in the attached images. Sound is o.k. but turning the dials is very crackly - probably need some Servisol?

Fortunately the dial cords, flexible metal tubes, pulleys and tuning scale pointers are all intact - can these cords be lubricated?

All valves are working and glowing nicely although the Scale Lamp doesn't work - are there replacements to be had for these special Philips lamps, type 8028D-00. It has a clear tubular bulb and an M.E.S. base, and is rated at 6.5V, 0.3A.

As expected the black pitch type capacitors seem fairly leaky but look easy to replace - there's about six in total

I looked up RS Components (UK) for suitable replacements and found three options for one of the capacitors but not sure if these are appropriate for Vintage Radios: -

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/passiv...4294959626&m=1

I also need a 1.6kv ceramic disc capacitor to replace C66 0.001uF on the output transformer - advice please on which type to replace this with?

Apart from these I will replace the the mains lead with a new 3 core cable and look at options to repair the cracked cabinet in due course - see attached picture.

Hope you can help with some of my questions - thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips_1.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	112020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips_2.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	112021   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips_3.jpg
Views:	398