View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2018, 8:50 pm   #102
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: MK14 schematic revisions

Good work Slothie, I knew it wouldn't take you long to snag it. I originally made that program (a modified version of one I already had) when it seemed you were days away from getting it up and running, but then things started to get complicated. By that time my own MK14 was back in storage so I tested the code on Doug Rice's online emulator.

The reset behaviour you describe is not normal, normally they reset cleanly every time but that is a minor niggle in the grand scheme of things.

SOC were either optimistic or knew full well that the user would have to fit a heatsink and omitted it to reduce their costs, either way you are correct, the regulator runs unacceptably hot without a heatsink. If you are running on a variable regulated supply you can help it out a bit by lowering the input voltage to the lowest at which the regulator continues to produce a reliable 5V output, which in practice will be between 7.5V - 8.0V.

If you are running on an unregulated supply marked '9V', try measuring the input voltage to the regulator, it might be a lot higher than 9V in reality.