View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2021, 9:37 pm   #33
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Just when you thought Networking-over-Mains was bad for RFI

A lot of good info here-some I can even [sort of] grasp. I've never understood much about 2 Phase Synchrodyne and I suspect the Horizon Documentary was probably wrong about that but they were concentrating on sources of inspiration as much as anything else! There's been quite a few hints over recent years [on here and elsewhere] re new industrial techniques using DC voltage "chopped" in some way. Does it apply to off shore Wind Farms and power cables across the channel. Wasn't there supposed to be one carrying Geo-thermal electricity from Iceland.

Of course all this has the benefit of a much later technology than was available at the turn of the century. Edison's plan to have a DC generating stations, every four blocks or so in New York, sounds like a nightmare on every level, coal powered, cables as thick as your arm etc

What caught my eye at first with this Internet Power proposal was the reference to "packets". I recall these [using information] were quite an interest within the Amateur Radio computer community at one time. Perhaps this proposed power distribution system has similarities as information [now more expensive than oil in some estimations] is at the basis of both systems? The power transmission seems to boil down as "more for less" by achieving regulatory compliance a different way.

I hope that's in no way comparable to tweaking diesel engines to meet the grade though.

Dave W

I'm intrigued that your father actually saw Tesla giving a lecture Joe [post 21]. Did your dad ever write anything about that experience or describe what he was like?

Last edited by dave walsh; 26th Nov 2021 at 9:44 pm.