Thread: Bush TR82B
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2018, 9:55 pm   #20
Half a Mullard
Hexode

Default Re: Bush TR82B

Following a temporary diversion I was finally able to get on with the Bush today.

The knobs cleaned up very well in the wash liquid. I found it easiest to refit them by sliding the spring clips on first, then easing them over the shafts which had been cleaned and a touch of wax applied as suggested. The tuning lens is still a little cloudy but quite usable. I cleaned up the cabinet using foam cleaner and polished up the brass work. The set has come up very nicely.

The wave change switch was treated with switch cleaner as were the volume and tone pots which were very crackly. I just replaced C32 and C33 (Trader sheet) connected a battery and switched on. The radio worked very well with good volume. The tone control is very effective too. I was very pleased with the sound quality, certainly beats any modern transistor set!

Taking Paul’s advice (#2) I left the remaining capacitors alone. The current draw hovered around the 20ma mark on mid volume. Voltage checks were pretty much spot on as per the service sheet. On a valve set the Mouldseal capacitors would probably be replaced on sight but given that the set is working well would I be best advised to leave well alone? The Bush is very easy to work on and makes an ideal first transistor set.

The only drawback with being AM only is the lack of stations to listen to, so with this in mind I’ve ordered a couple of the FM modules and hope to have a go at the FM/AM converter. No doubt I’ll be back asking for help with that looking at the instructions!!

Many thanks for the advice so far.