Thread: VOX AC10 clone
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2018, 1:25 pm   #6
retailer
Heptode

Default Re: VOX AC10 chassis dimensions

Thank you for the detailed reply.
For my AC15 build I copied info from another diyer (I've lost the link) and saved all of the info on the chassis and cabinet size without actually doing a great deal of research, it turned out that the dimensions given were on the large size and it was not until I came to build the cab that I realised my chassis would not fit into a standard sized AC15 cab - it was too late to change the chassis as this was completed, the end result was around 1inch bigger all round- however it was not a disaster as the aim was to create a look alike with the same sound. The vibrato was a bit confusing as not ever having heard guitar vibrato I wasn't sure if it was working correctly and the only way I can describe it is that it is like a warble.
I built the chassis from 2mm aluminium as this is what I had on hand, most of my AC15 build dimensions were close to the AC30 dimensions you've given with the exception of the height of the aluminium chassis (overall width excluded of course), mine is 6.3 inches, I'm now guessing that the diyer I copied had to increase the height to accommodate turret boards available to him, I ended up making my own turret boards. I'm not fussed about dimensions in metric or imperial, I'm now retired and grew up with feet and inches but now tend to use metric mm for all but lathe and mill work (still stuck with thou's here) so I can visualise both.

Thank you for the heads up on the resistors but I did use metal film resistors for my AC15 build as I heard that carbon resistors can be noisy - I was bit shocked when I saw them they look so puny. I don't think carbon composition resistors are that easy to come by but I do have a supply of carbon film 1watt resistors in just about all values from 22R to 1meg popular sizes. I'll be sure to use these for the next build.

Having been a bit off with my AC15 build It would be nice to be a bit closer to the mark with the AC10 twin I'm planning on next. I've included some pics of the AC15 build it is more or less finished just waiting for the tolex and piping to arrive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180603_144357.jpg
Views:	1207
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	165418   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180621_155953.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	165419   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_150650.jpg
Views:	481