View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2006, 11:09 pm   #88
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: PC as a standard convertor

Hi,

I know what you mean about Unix/Linux; it's taken me a while to get to where I am. For me, computers used to be fun, then Windows stopped all that; I couldn't "tinker about under the hood" as I used to with the old 8-bit micros. Then in '98 I started playing with Linux, and computers were suddenly fun again

Anyway, coming back on-topic; I've now bought an MSNTV2 unit; for the grand sum of £30 including shipping. It's still on the wrong side of the Atlantic but now I know I've got one coming I'm reading up on it a lot. It's based on the Intel 830 chipset and there's a lot of documentation available from Intel's site.

I think right now this comes under the heading of "Advanced Projects"; at least as far as a means to get 405-line pictures goes. Once the box has arrived the first stage is to get it booting Linux, next get the MythTV frontend running with the PAL composite output on a 625-line colour set - then I'll take it from there...

Something about this appeals to my sense of humour or something - an American-market Microsoft WebTV unit, running Linux, displaying UK FreeView digital TV on a 405-line set...

What can I say... it keeps me entertained

Regards, Kat