Thread: Icom IC-251E
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2018, 1:00 pm   #1
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Default Icom IC-251E

Ive just taken posession of one of the Radio's I used to eye enviously as a penniless teenager when I obtained my Amateur licence.

considering its age it appears to have been well looked after, and came in the original packaging.

Its also got the benefit of having the Mutek front end fitted, which subsitites the pin diode switching with a low noise raly and also has a superior mixer circuit to the Icom design.

powered it up off 12V last night and it was picking up at good strength on a bit of wire in the kitchen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3zsLEckBAg

As a base unit they came with a mains power supply. these were prone to failure.
It came with a spare, that someone has started a repair on. looking at the construction, whilst good from an RF screening persepctive, Im sure enclosing the active bits of the power supply in a small aluminium "roasting tin" didnt do it any favours, it does smell of baked electronic components.

Ill probably repair them long term, and look at introducing some cooling ( they didnt have miniauture 12V PC fans back in the day ) , but enjoy the radio as is for now

Ive also included a pic of my new scope, with many thanks to John_bs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	box.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	170238   Click image for larger version

Name:	front view.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	170239   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear view.jpg