View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2022, 6:46 pm   #35
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Noise issue with DIY variable PSU and audio amplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6ONEDave View Post
Looking at the pic in post 31, I'm a little confused re the quoted voltages.
So am I. I made a quick sketch, colour matching best as I can. It's oriented same way as Jolly's Xformer in the photo.

Jolly, what you've got here is a centre-tapped 12V winding. You've made the centre tap with the pink wire.

So...logical explanation is that you've simply transposed the numbers to get 21V AC instead of 12V AC. If not, what Dave says...

You can see from my sketch that there is 12V across the green wires. Two windings in series with a centre-tap.

There is 6 VAC across the turquoise and yellow wires, not the 12 V you say for your amp. That's only available across the green wires.

These things need to be really clear before you can do any diagnostics.

On top of that arises another problem. You are now drawing uneven amounts of current from the RHS and LHS windings of the Xformer.

The 12V circuit across both windings causes draws one amount of current to flow through both windings.

The amplifier circuit across the RHS winding draws an additional amount of current to flow through that winding alone. Boom! Tiny transformer here, more load on one side, so there now just can't be exactly the same voltage output across each winding. It is some amount lower on the RHS.

And so now what happens to the (nominally) 12V output across the two secondaries in series? Suddenly things are a bit more complex than meets the eye.

Please note that the green wire 1 and green wire 2 aren't 'carrying [X] volts' as you label them. The voltage is across the pair of wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xformer sketch.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	269519  

Last edited by Al (astral highway); 7th Dec 2022 at 7:03 pm.