View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2019, 1:04 pm   #1
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Getting the word out...

There have been discussions in the past about publicising and modernising the BVWS, NVCF / Retrotech meetings and events.
The recent thread concerning Wooton Basset unsold radios brought this back into my thinking...
Can we come up with some ideas for direct action to publicise events to a wider audience to bring in some new blood?
What I am suggesting is for ideas that members of this forum and BVWS members can do rather than putting more work on the already busy folk that run the events?
I was completely unaware of the BVWS until I bought a Radiogram on ebay from a member and he brought the society to my attention. I then attended the Harpenden event and was like a kid in a sweetshop filling my car with lovely radio sets! I had been looking for an Ekco A22 for some time, going to that event I returned with two!
I have since attended many events, buying and selling duplicates and equipment that I have no interest in but 'found' me.
I have also introduced a few friends and associates to the BVWS over the years at least two of I know attend events. That said I also feel that I could have done more if I had thought about it.
Had I not bought that radiogram it may have been years before I discovered the BVWS if at all.
How about coming up with a publicity leaflet for the BVWS, BVWS events. The Audio jumble. Retrotech and this forum? Something members can print off themselves and pass on to others they come into contact with ?
For instance if you sell something related to lets say 'old Technology' On line a copy of the leaflet could be included with the item.
If not being done already a leaflet publicising other events could be handed out at the entrance of events, for instance say the Retrotech event publicises the other events and vice versa.
There is a huge following for vinyl records at the moment so why not make the record event organisers and the Brighton Jukebox fair aware of 'our' events?
Working on the principle that we have little to lose surely it's worth a try ?
What do you think? What ideas can you come up with? What are you prepared to do? Or am I wrong? Or do some members prefer the events to be a 'secret society' with everyone known to each other in little cliques?

I mentioned in the W.B thread that I find from visitors to my home that there is an interest in old tech in many cases, but not many are aware of the society, events or online forums where they can ask questions ask for help and share their interest.
Just my thoughts but I feel that we are missing a trick here? How about a car sticker ? Interested in Old Technology ? Vinyl records? Vintage radio sets? Why not join the BVWS? www. etc...
Rich.

Last edited by slidertogrid; 15th Dec 2019 at 1:19 pm. Reason: added a bit...