Thread: 240, 405 & 625
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 7:27 pm   #12
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: 240, 405 & 625

Hi Paul.
Yes indeed I "am" older, not a lot though. I am fully aware that we certainly we don't have the "right" with TV, there were many experiments and good work done elsewhere and contrary to what a lot of people mistakenly think, Eastern Europe and some of the Russian states come to mind let alone other places dotted around the world.
I understand you have done a lot of work too and well done for it.
I am not old fashioned, if I was I wouldn't be here on a PC or listen to a dab radio or watch freeview.
In a way you have to see it from the other end, the consumer, the engineer out in the field etc. The designers come up with something they think is better whether its a remote control, I-pod, BBC2 etc.
In the years I was a TV engineer in the early days especially customers loved their 405 line sets and yes the system had drawbacks, interference, aircraft flutter, the line whistle etc. The majority of people loved 405 and even those on dual standard sets after duplication still used 405, so no matter what we think the feedback was telling us what the general public was happy with.
This situation still exists with complex menu's to work around even to record a TV program.
I am all for progress but why all the complication?
I often would have loved the "designers" to spend a week or two with me perhaps things would be different.

I would like to see some of your work by the way, it certainly sounds interesting.

Jeffrey the 405mac does sound interesting along with all the advantages of the 405 line system, it certainly would have been better for our industry and I still might be fixing TV's now for a living!

Last edited by murphyv310; 23rd Feb 2011 at 7:29 pm. Reason: Added line