View Single Post
Old 29th May 2020, 10:41 pm   #31
ricard
Octode

Default Re: Interesting things on old tape reels

I like collecting odd or special recordings.

Going back as far as wire, I have a box of wire spools that were obviously recorded by someone who was trying to sell wire recorders to various acquaintances, as that is the subject discussed on the recordings, often interspersed with someone singing a tune or telling a story.

One tape I have is titled 'exercises for abacus', and contains someone in a rather boring voice saying "five plus three", "thirteen plus twentytwo", etc etc.

I have a language teaching tape in Dutch, which is cleverly done, it's basically a monologue, with the teacher starting out with very simple sentences and slowly building up a vocabulary as he goes along. Have only listened to a ten or fifteen minutes, but it's fascinating to listen to.

In general I like to listen to language tapes. Here in Sweden we study English at quite an early age in school, so there were lots of tapes around back in the day.

Finally, one recording I have is a promotional recording for the Philips EL3541, obviously intended to be listened to by a store manager, describing selling points, other available promotional material, etc. Probably rather rare as I suspect most would have been thrown away or used for other purposes in time. I thought I'd put it on Youtube one day - played, of course, on an EL3541.

/Ricard