View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2017, 8:26 pm   #13
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Lincoln Ham Festival

I don't know, Andy - what are we gonna do with you? Sounds like we need to find you a decent fridge!

This ham fest used to be held just north of Lincoln back in the day, so that may be why it's still thought of as the 'Lincoln Ham Fest' by some.

I also noticed that 'Pam' amplifier, it was an orange brown sort of colour and shouted out restored or just freshly painted. No price on it and I didn't ask - I like to see things with a price sticker on!

A couple of years before, there was at least two rows of outside stalls rather than the single row on Friday.

The chap with the black Series 3 Jag had the outside stall with all the valves. There was a chap with two large black dogs buying valves while I was there. He had a 'shipping order' and spent nearly sixty quid on valves. There were four ECL86s and he bought all four. He told me he had a lot of radio stuff that he needed to get working including a Rogers amplifier and said that if something wasn't working then the first thing to do was to change all the valves. As you can imagine, I felt a lecture coming on, but resisted, just telling him that capacitors etc. might be the first port of call. I asked him if he was a member of this forum and he said he wasn't, but probably ought to be, so watch this space.