Octode

Default Re: MK14 Programming Interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbucus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post

Yes, but I am terminally lazy. If there's one electronics task I detest more than anything else, it's wiring up and then legending keyboards. And there are hundreds of thousands of old, unwanted, working, PS/2 keyboards lying around with their keys already wired up and legended.

I know this is one thing I won't be able to persuade you on, though, and it's true that anything like that would be a decidedly non-period feature.
You can buy cherry keycap sets for £5 and discard most keys - if someone laid out a PCB for cherry keys we could probably simplify construction quite a bit.
... so laying out a keyboard would be simple.

Thinking about it for the MK14 I was thinking you could make a SCRUMPI3 style keyboard with ~40 keys and several shifts to save on keys and scanning time while retaining dedicated MEM TERM ABORT and GO keys.
Great news so it is just the layout to agree then . My plan was to hook up my SCRUMPI3 keyboard I have made to my MK14 to test the scanning software.

I had not planned on repeating the Function keys externally just a proper ASCII (well MK14 VDU charset) for the MK14 long term i.e. what they would have needed to run a version of NIBL in Page1 - the MK14 remains a number/function pad beside it.

I assume it would be a routing nightmare to map the existing keys so it acts as both a full ASCII and supported in SCIOS... it would be interesting though.