Slothie
Octode

Default Re: MK14 Programming Interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbucus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Quote:
I still think a real scanned keyboard addon on the port is the best though as it will be authentic to the time
Yes, but I am terminally lazy. If there's one electronics task I detest more than anything else, it's wiring up and then legending keyboards. And there are hundreds of thousands of old, unwanted, working, PS/2 keyboards lying around with their keys already wired up and legended.

I know this is one thing I won't be able to persuade you on, though, and it's true that anything like that would be a decidedly non-period feature.
You can buy cherry keycap sets for £5 and discard most keys - if someone laid out a PCB for cherry keys we could probably simplify construction quite a bit.
Well that's weird because I discovered (by watching Atomic Shrimp's latest video) you could get cherry MX style keycaps with a transparent cap you can put a legend under, and bought 40 caps and 20 MX switches to make a proper keyboard for my MK14 because I am having so many problems with keybounce on my MK14. I also found out KiCAD has footprints for all the MX key switch cap shapes, so laying out a keyboard would be simple.

Thinking about it for the MK14 I was thinking you could make a SCRUMPI3 style keyboard with ~40 keys and several shifts to save on keys and scanning time while retaining dedicated MEM TERM ABORT and GO keys.

I have a funky coloured PS/2 keyboard so another idea was to make a PS/2 to MK14 interface using one of my uploader boards and a microcontroller to make a simple keyboard interface, with a programmable mapping of PS/2 keys to MK14 keys. My only worry about all this is that the MK14 has a very limited memory so how much use I could make of it.