View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2018, 9:22 pm   #29
paulsherwin

Default Re: A relatively cheap portable SW receiver with SSB/CW and analogue tuning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsons View Post
Hi Ottavio

Attached are photo's of my Sony ICF5900 which, should any members wish to comment on they are more than welcome.

The radio has been in my collection for a number of years and as explained to
Ottavio, the aerial has to be raised manually as the "pop up lever" does not do anything. Plastic chrome on the lever is worn.

The radio is very sensitive. Radio Caroline sounds as though it is transmitted fiom Brookmans Park and shortwave reception busy with the BFO working as it should as, of course, is the crystal marker. The battery compartment is rust free and the cover stays in place albeit with a little help with a hidden pad. I haven't used the earpiece.

My only reason for selling it is that it is going to a good home to be used as it was designed.

Chris
I agree these are good sets and fit the OP's requirements pretty well. They are basically a broadcast receiver but can be used to listen to the amateur bands reasonably well. They are also small enough to be used as everyday radios. The FM performance is good, as is the sound quality.

I have no connection with Chris.