View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2019, 12:11 am   #171
Timbucus
Octode

Default Re: MK14 schematic revisions

SH sorry perhaps I misled you Martin's issue 5 board edge is in the second photo and it only has the pads ready to patch too. It is the VDU board you can see all the tracks on.

It just seemed to me that it would be ideal to have them match 1:1 so that instead of an edge connector you could solder on a DIN4162 at the top of a patched Issue 5 or a Slothie v2... in fact rather than doing all the messy patching on Martin's board maybe I will wait for a Slothie v2 for myself if he does change the D0-D7 location as it is a right shift of a group that should be possible - the other couple of lines might give him a headache though - especially if we can find a way to get the Issue 5 memory decoding and the different RAM chip stuff he has included...

This example of an issue 5 has done just that by the way so it is authentic:

https://twitter.com/mk14man/status/892508941170733056

Slothie hope the eye op goes well - understand if you do not make the the above change(s) on your board. It just occurs to me that we effectively have a useful standard connector for VDU and maybe an external RAM/ROM board between the MK14 and the VDU that can be used with anything people like. Indeed you could actually solder a right angled edge connector on the VDU - I cant find where I found this one but, that was done on there so I assume they could just plug it directly onto the MK14!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2695 (1).jpg
Views:	175
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	181810

The VDU Manual says that the PADS are present on Issue 4 and Issue 5 but, you still needed to do your own patching - we still don't know when the memory decoding improvement happened though unless someone has a reference but, it was on the Issue 5 so again if you can put that on it would be authentic - maybe using the original gates and then just a new gate for your memory patch and reset solution... or not they will be functionally equivalent.