View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2017, 4:19 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Improving the Murphy A272C.

Well I suppose it's all a matter of taste and not worth shattering domestic bliss for Phil but I notice that [in a 2008 thread] I mentioned that these Consoles seemed to be getting a bit trendy. I bought a 272 then because I'd never seen one with VHF but the AM 146 in particular [especially with a light finish] always looked quite 1930's to me [even though they are much later]. These seem to look good in a period or perhaps minimalist setting [eg bare brick and oak] so I remain surprise that they don't attract higher prices. As ukcol says the AM model has a pretty good amp. Some people have extracted these from a couple of sets making a good stereo units.

Even though I've got a 146 that is 98/% woodworm I'm not sure about gutting a set for this purpose but the output stages extracted and renovated are of a very high standard! As for the 272, Leon's suggested design improvements seem to be a very good option with minimum disruption to the radio itself. I must admit though that that something about the VHF Console [possibly the larger dial] makes it less stylish than it's older 146 brother.

Dave W