View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2007, 1:08 pm   #3
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Pye PE 80.International.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjjo View Post
You could try picture hanging wire for the control cables, although mine were fine. The wooden sides of the cabinet were painted black. Yes there was a radiogram version,The PE80 RG, available in September 1954, I've never seen one, but they cost 175 gns , and apparently had 13 dial lamps! FM was introduced shortly after so I doubt they would have sold many. .

Regards, Mick.
Picture hanging wire might work but is probably a bit stiff. I was lucky in that mine were OK so I was able to re-use the original cables and only needed to clean the mechanisms.

I remember seeing the RG version about 40 years ago. We had it in for service at the shop where I had a school holiday job in the workshop. A truly magnificent beast. As Mick has pointed out FM came in shortly after these sets were introduced and they fell out of favour. The replacements were of course the Fenman and the corresponding Fenman RG. Also lovely sets!

I think that there was an article on the PE 80 in one of the early Bulletins. As regular "forumites" will know I have a passion for these Pye sets and in my - biassed - opinion they rank among the best sets ever produced.

Regards,