Thread: Bush A.C.91
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 2:36 am   #87
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush A.C.91

Firstly I must admit to having not read through all of this thread.

At the start of this thread it seems that you bought a radio that had been recently repaired by someone and sold in a working state.

If I gather the situation correctly it would seem that some capacitors around the mains input that should have been X and Y rated, were replaced with ordinary types, but you have now replaced them with the correct types.

As regards the other capacitors in the set - there are critical ones that have HT of varying levels of voltage on one side but on the other side perhaps just connect to the control grid of say the audio output valve and are coupling capacitors passing the AC audio signal, but block the DC voltage of the HT. While ANY slight leakage in a capacitor in this particular situation can be seriously bad news for the valve and transformers, slightly leaky capacitors in other situations in the set will cause little or no trouble whatsoever.

What you need to do is to look at the circuit and try to understand the function of the other capacitors that are original and decide whether any slight leakage that they 'may' have will have any detrimental effect on the circuit they're in. Remember, with the technology available at the time, these capacitors were probably manufactured with some form of slight leakage from new. Some would even argue that the circuits were designed taking these shortcomings into account and that your radio may not perform so well with replacement 'new' parts in these 'non-critical' situations - something to think about.

As you may have gathered, I'm against all this 'painting-by-numbers' approach to capacitor changing, as you learn absolutely nothing by doing it and the radio looks worse by being flooded with 'yellow' - originality, with 'honest' repairs where necessary is the way I like it and when you see a radio (or whatever) repaired in this way, then you know that it's been repaired by someone who knew what they were doing and not by a 'cap changer'.

Last edited by Techman; 23rd Jan 2017 at 2:44 am.