View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2019, 5:15 pm   #1
dglcomp
Heptode

Default Belling cooker

Split from this thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=160667
Quote:
Originally Posted by steptoesyard View Post
I love those Belling Format cookers from the 1980`s, and I`ve had the control panels apart on a few of them over the years, bit fiddly but look so much better for a clean up. I actually own two of them, a 600X which was the very first ceramic from about 1982, in immaculate condition (I keep that one as a spare, as you do!..........), and a later 1980`s version which I spotted on Ebay - new old stock, so I grabbed it! That one is my daily driver, and is as close to brand new as I`ll ever see.

I`ve always had a bit of a fascination with Belling cookers, which I think stems from my grandparents buying one of the very first Belling fan ovens in the 1970`s, and it lasted right up until about 10 years ago and had to be scrapped only because I couldn't get a thermostat for it
They really are beautiful beasts aren't they, from the backlit front panel to the green VFD of the timer, to the nice clean lines and flush fit. Plus the fact that to get a similar modern cooker with the same level of features would still cost a lot and as such I hate to think how much they must have cost new. But my Grandad was defiantly a buy once cry once kind of guy.
I believe they were the first free standing cooker to be completely level with the work surface, so would look especially good in a brand new fitted kitchen (and given my grans kitchen (brought from Bradford's in Crewkerne) is from the 80's it fits in well).