View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2019, 9:44 am   #65
Luxman1050
Octode

Default Re: Philips BX281U20 valve radio

Cheers guys seems to be a rather dangerous design if you ask me. Wonder how many eletrical engineers suffered at the hands of fixing these units.

Variac fine I think it might have been I changed the rectifier valve which forgot to mention then switched on via mains not variac then lit up. Like say was picking up stations just so noisy but unit was cutting out then coming back on. Something shorting I'm sure that would cause that.

I did not realise this unit is polarized on mains I thought it would have been non polar? Nothing on schematic showing this to be polarized.

So it will still work even if the chasis is live? Would this not cause it it to just stop working? Also would I not get a voltage reading off the chasis?

Precautions noted I will have a look at all wiring today.
Lawrence do you mean those thermistors as there are no actual fuses in the unit.

Is the rectifier valve pins secured in base only asking as it is near on impossible to remove once secured in its base you need screwdriver to prize it off!!!! Or wrong octal base fitted or too much solder dropped down pin holes?

Should be a fun day.