View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2017, 2:19 pm   #17
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Bush TV22 spares availability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
I have restored a few TV22/24 variants over the years and have had both LOPT and blocking tx problems, both can be rewound of course, but will add considerably to the cost of restoration.
I was lucky with my TV22, both the blocking osc and lopt were ok.

The TV22 struck me as one of the most interesting and cleverly designed TV sets I had seen, with the chassis stacked on each other, it is amazingly compact and the way the cabinet fits over the chassis is clever.

It makes the TV22 infinitely more compact than any American TV's of the era with the same sized CRT's. They have broad steel chassis and heavy power transformers. Plus the TV22 is much lighter with the absence of a mains power transformer and the aluminium chassis construction.

After all of the vintage TV's I have restored in my time, the TV22 is right up there as a major television technology accomplishment. Then there is the cabinet's artwork or industrial design that makes the set iconic.

So the fact that the lopt or the blocking osc tranys can give trouble wouldn't scare me away, a worthy if not fun challenge to repair.

The only non repairable part is the CRT, that is where any concerns now remain as still there is no CRT re-building service on the planet. And for a good result here, it would have to be a re-screening and re-gunning service. And there would have to be a good supply of P4 phoshor which in itself is a technical challenge to manufacture to get the particle size correct.