View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2017, 9:57 pm   #33
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

Default Re: Multiband shortwave radio from Tesco.

Well I wasn't going to buy one, really I wasn't..

First impressions, comes in a cardboard box in bubble wrap, with usual safety info and guarantee. You'll need the receipt if you break it, so keep that too.

In go two of ALDIs finest AA cells, plug in Sennheisers.

Power and band are self indicating switches, no LEDs exept for the 'tune' one which lights up when receiving a reasonable signal.

Tuning is by rotary knob on the side, it gives the feeling of squelched channel tuning, so no such thing as fine tuning. Picks up R4 on LW, not much on MW, but mostly due to location here, FM good selection of stations here, all in mono.

Tuning through the SW bands, B'cast coverage only, I am rather disappointed that it does pick up all the usual AM broadcasts without the weewoo heterodynes that you normally get with world band cheapos. It does resolve the 7MHz CW as a mass of chirping and beeping. It is surprisingly easy to tune once you get the hang of it, but totally unlike a normal analog radio.

I was rather hoping to break it and get a refund, but I'll take it on site with me tmoz, see how it performs daytime out of doors, tests here done indoors, on the dinning room table at ground level on the built in aerial with two laptops running operating on the same table. At the moment I can't say it's rubbish, a longer test will tell. Perhaps future vintage.