View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2017, 10:38 pm   #1
ben
Dekatron

Default New hard drive for Pentium IV

Here's hoping someone can advise!
My current main PC dates from circa 2002, runs xp and is on its last legs.
However, I was recently given a Pentium IV (2.8 Ghz I think) with motherboard GIGABYTE GA85648 P4 TITAN DDR400, which, although not much better that what I have, seems very clean and had little use. Bearing in mind I only plan to runWindows 7 (I already have about 2GB in RAM) , I thought I might be able to upgrade this enough to get it to do what I
want. It will need a new hard drive because the one fitted is only 80GB and I have about three times that amount of data on my current PC (albeit spread across two drives).

Now for the tricky bit. This Pentium IV only has IDE connectors. Presumably IDE aren't made any more so I would need a SATA drive and some kind of adaptor card. Would this work fast enough? Would this ageing PC accept more recent hard drives of several terrabytes? I was hoping to put in a drive of at least 1TB. Anyone attempted this, or am I being optimistic?

If I can find a relatively cheap and/or simple way of getting this PC running, I will have a go before splashing out on a new CPU.

Any suggestions gratefully received, even if along the lines of 'just bin it, you fool'!