View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2018, 9:24 pm   #46
Grubhead
Heptode

Default Re: HMV in administration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
It's a shame they never got the download store fixed properly from day 1. When downloads first came into being, HMV only had low bit-rate files available, ( I think 128k) rather than even cd-quality, and the download process was glitchy. They seemed to be left behind by entrepreneurs and start-ups who had found better systems. They were IMHO usurped by young companies run by people they'd probably never heard of.
HMV bought up 7Digital and that does offer higher quality downloads. They pulled the downloads after that. Transferring customers to the other site. I had a look today at 7Digital's site and it now looks independent from HMV. There's no mention of the company anywhere on the website.

HMV like many of the other download providers suffered from the Apple monopoly on downloads, whereby they could not sell the itunes download format. The record companies would only allow them to sell Windows Media files, having copyright protection on them. Which could not be used on the ipod players. MP3 only rose after the record companies stop using protection on files. But by them the market was saturated with ipods and people would not go from iTunes to other sites, even though Amazon thought that they would switch if the reduced the price. But that didn't work, due to iTunes cards, which allowed kids without bank accounts to buy tracks.

As for HMV's websites they have had technical issues for ages. And the Government stopped them selling CD and DVD's cheap online for tax reasons. Which stopped a lot of sales.

I'm surprised though that the stores are closing, since the growth of vinyl. I would have thought that people would have bought that at shops, rather than risk it in the post. But perhaps not?