View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 12:10 pm   #26
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: NVCF - Alexandra Palace CANCELLED !!!

It's frustrating to see the ad in the Bulletin with the original date changed by sticker before the Society was let down over the whole event. It's now become a historical item in itself. I'm wondering if the BBC are planning to do anything in November? I was able to visit AP for the first time two years ago and found the whole site building/railway station/ mast and location amazing. There was a reception office still with a BBC sign left up but the chap on duty explained that there was no Beeb connection at all anymore-a bit confusing I thought. In fact there was a sixth form college recruitment event taking place and when it grew dark [perhaps because of my dark blue attire] people kept asking me for directions and information.

I'm motivated to post this because I was looking at "Pioneers of TV" again last night which has a lot of AP content [6/7/02 one of the earliest BBC4 programs-presenter Mariella Frostrop]. It's an early indicator of how great this channel would become at using vintage material. [There will be a ten year anniversary point there next February-if the detractors don't succeed in destroying it]. If nothing else it would be worth broadcasting material like this again through November. Perhaps the BVWS could make an official request for an Ally Pally night on BBC4?
Dave W