View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2018, 8:21 pm   #32
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: Unfair use of service manuals

I think the discussion here on copyright is not only off topic - its also a red herring. Websites that offer free copies are really no different to a public library. You go in and you can read the material they have on the shelves - or in the case of a website on the server's hard disk.

Its what the reader does with the document that infringes any copyright that may or may not exist. The mere downloading of a copy is no worse than taking a library book home. No copyright is actually infringed. And indeed further copies of such material are entirely legitimate "for study purposes". I've done that loads of time at my local library with the full blessing of the library staff.

Where a problem arises is where the receiver of such material then chooses to try and make money out of it by selling copies. I think that is the point at where copyright is truly infringed and the owner's of copyright have every right to make a complaint and take legal action if they wish.

When I first obtained copies of Clansman radio EMERs from the UK government - free of charge by the way under the Freedom of Information Act - they were at pains to tell me that the previously restricted status of these documents had been lifted. But at the same time I had to observe copyright and allow the material to be used for "study purposes". And any attempt to sell the material would result in legal action. So I have freely given away copies of this material to anyone who asked - who also provided me with a written (email) statement that they would only use the material for personal study.

I've never had a problem with this approach - and I intend to go on doing just that.

Richard