View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2018, 9:19 pm   #1
Station X

Default 486 PC. Keyboard problem.

At the moment I'm trying to get a CNC lathe dating from 1996 working. It was sold as not working, spares or repair. If I succeed in fixing it I'll have got a bargain, if not I'll have a heavy and expensive door stop!

After fixing numerous wiring and switch faults I've finally got the built in 486 PC and CRT display working. However it stalls in the BIOS before accessing the drives.

Initially it reported a flat CMOS battery, but fitting a new one fixed that. Now it's reporting:-

CMOS system options not set.
CMOS display type mismatch.
Keyboard error.

RUN SYSTEM SET UP
Press F1 to resume.

Needless to say pressing F1 does nothing, but I don't think it's a keyboard fault. The keyboard is a non standard one laid out so that the machine can be jogged etc. It connects via a 10 way ribbon cable to an unidentified card plugged into an ISA?? slot on the motherboard. Also connected to this card is the floppy disk drive. I suspect that the BIOS has to be set up to recognize this card and of course the setting have been lost due to the battery failure.

There is a keyboard socket mounted on the motherboard with nothing connected to it. The BIOS has probably detected this and hence the error message.

The keyboard socket looks like a five pin DIN type and I haven't seen a keyboard with that type of connector for years. Is there an adaptor available I could use in order to connect a USB or PS2 keyboard?

Any other possible solution?

Thanks.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.