View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2019, 2:17 pm   #6
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: DIY battery eliminator for valve radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by regenfreak View Post

The UX201A is highly desirbale for audiophiles and it fetches very high price on ebay. The audio fetishists claim it has a unique sound
Thank you for the kind remarks.

I find it very disturbing that the audiophiles have developed an interest in the 201A. There is nothing about it that is remotely suited to high fidelity audio.

The ill founded, illogical and I'd dare to suggest delusional mystique, attached to it simply drives up the prices and makes it more difficult for a radio restorer, restoring a 1920's vintage radio, to afford replacement valves.

I felt a similar sense of concern when I came across a website claiming that the EF50 was an audiophile valve. To get around the microphonics for audio use they had wrapped them in latex rubber and put them in a PVC tube with a modified base. It made me worry that an electronics restorer and historian might be trying to repair some wartime radar gear and not be able to get a valve at a reasonable price.

While I might seem to be critical of "audiophiles" oddly I am one myself and sport the usual turntable, LP collection, valve amplifier, guitars and guitar amps etc. However there are some audiophile philosophies that I am not prepared to buy into, and calling a 201A valve an audiophile valve is definitely one of them.

(Though I love the orange glow !)