Thread: Museums
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2019, 4:13 pm   #117
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Museums

Museums/galleries are - as in many things - a matter of personal taste: myself, I prefer the less-cluttered, technical approach that lets you focus on and appreciate specific items, rather than the higgledy-piggledy style which I tend to associate more with a 'collection' rather than a museum/gallery.

Structure: How are the parts of an exhibit laid-out? Is it in chronological order or is there some other underlying reason for these things to be placed together?

Narrative: what story do these things tell us? About the time they were produced and the people who produced them?

Context: Where do they fit-in with our lives today?

I'm the sort of person who - before visiting a museum/gallery downloads/studies their catalog so I can plan what I want to focus on during my visit. Of course this assumes they have a catalog (many smaller museums don't, which again makes me consider them to be a 'collection' not a museum. A museum-collection should be searchable!).

I consider the likes of http://www.duxfordradiosociety.org/r...storation.html as being close to my ideal: there's proper cataloging and associated support-material to explain the what, why and where of the exhibits.

Like I said, opinions differ. I don't like clutter.
G6Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote