View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2011, 8:31 pm   #15
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: Another unusual plug and some other questions

Hi again,
Thanks for the information about "chronological progression" It's interesting that the choice of 2 or 3 pin sockets may have been down to nothing more than cost.

In the Village I spent my childhood in, which was a small mining village close to the North East coast of what used to be North Yorkshire, there were a multitude of different sockets fitted in houses all over the place.
One house had nothing but 2 pin 5 amp sockets, I seem to recall that this house had a gas oven and whistling kettle which may have been due to the the absence of any "high current" sockets in the kitchen. A house in the same street as this, a few doors away, had 2 pin 15 Amp sockets in two of the rooms and a 5 amp 3 pin in the Kitchen which was used for the Kettle!

Some houses had a combination of 3 pin 5 amp, 3 pin 15 Amp and the odd 13 Amp BS1363 socket which must have been added later.

The council estate was split in to two roads, with Dorman and Smith Britmac 13 Amp types (as shown in my picture) in most of the houses in one of the roads although some of the larger houses had 15 Amp 3 pin sockets for some reason. Whilst the other road had BS1363 13 Amp sockets.

One of my grandmothers friends owned a drapery and the living quarters at the back of the shop had Wylex sockets.

Has anyone been able to confirm yet whether my "unusual" 5 amp(?) plug is an industry special yet?

Andrew